“The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco” I hear this quote everywhere I go. It’s August and it’s colder now than it was in February. Seriously. I went to the beach in February, and now I’m rocking a beanie and gloves every time I take my dog for an evening walk. Hats, gloves, and north faces aside though, this weather really takes a toll on my skin. I’ve got mild eczema – it affects my scalp the worst, but i’ll get it on my upper arms every now and then too. Don’t get me started on my face either – when I go 2 minutes post-shower without moisturizing I feel like my skin’s made of sandpaper, and even moving my face enough to talk becomes uncomfortable, to say the least. So, without further ado:
- Korres Kiwi Gentle Exfoliating Scrub for dry skin: I love this thing. I used the St. Ives apricot scrub for years before educating myself on high quality ingredients, and while this isn’t the most natural product you can find (it is almost 90% natural), it is a ‘no parabens, sulphates, or phthalates’ product, and is suitable for vegetarians and vegans to use. The smell is fantastic – reminds me of Garnier Fructise, and does a great job exfoliating my face and getting rid of all the excess dry skin.
- L’Occitane Huile de Douche Amande Shower Oil – oh man this is silky goodness. It smells absolutely amazing – sweet and delicious. Leaves the skin supple, and the smell lingers for awhile afterward. The only thing is – it doesn’t lather as well as shower gels, so I’ve stopped using a loofah with it altogether. I rub it between my palms, and it gets this really nice milky consistency. The lack of lather isn’t really a con for me, though, since using a loofah every day isn’t recommended for dry skin anyway.
- Lush It’s Raining Men Shower Gel – I’m all about natural ingredients and handmade products. Lush gets me every time, but this one I don’t even feel guilty about. It’s so luscious, smells sooo good – think warm muffin dripping in honey. It lathers like a dream ( a little goes a long way), leaves my dry skin supple and smooth, and the scent lingers which is my favorite thing.
- Amika Hydrate Conditioner – one of my favorite hydrating conditioners. It leaves my hair silky and doesn’t irritate my scalp. It doesn’t weigh down my hair either – I can usually go 3 days without a wash. The ingredients include Sea Buckthorn Berry which I haven’t seen anywhere else, and you won’t find another product with a scent like this one. It reminds me a little of Juicy Couture’s Viva La Juicy, so if you’re into fruity/gourmand scents then you’ll probably like this.
- Amika Triple Rx Shampoo – probably my favorite shampoo. It’s specially formulated for over processed hair, and as someone who gets blonde bayalage several times a year, and uses a ton of heat tools besides, this really works for me. As for ingredients, its got some great ones: obliphica berry extract + keratin + wheat protein = a happy alana. The smell is just like the conditioner, guaranteed to make you happy if you’re into sweet smells.
- Lush Ro’s Argan Body Conditioner – what is a body conditioner you ask? Just that. I apply this especially over the places I exfoliate, let it sit for a few minutes, and then rinse off. This is also a great post-shave cream, as replenishes the moisture your skin lost during shaving. Its got a sweet rose smell – not the kind that makes you think of your grandma – and lingers post shower. Note: you can’t use this like a regular lotion. You HAVE to wash this off.
Side Note: If you want a quick, one-stop-shop for amazing dry skin products, I recommend stopping by a Lush Cosmetics shop, if there’s one in your area. They have a bunch of gift boxes that are usually filled with at least 2-4 products, and it ends up being cheaper than buying individual items. Sometimes they have sales online but they sell out lightening fast, so you have to be quick. L’Occitane is a good one too, BUT I’m a sucker for handmade products with natural ingredients, and you just can’t beat Lush scents.